Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Interruption, anyone?

A friend on facebook (which is so different than a 'facebook friend', you know?) shared this a couple days ago from the blog Kingdom People. This was JUST what I needed to hear. Do you need to hear it, too?
“The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one’s ‘own’, or ‘real’ life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one’s real life – the life God is sending one day by day: what one calls one’s ‘real life’ is a phantom of one’s own imagination.”
(from a 1943 letter from C.S. Lewis,
and included in Yours, Jack: Spiritual Direction from C.S. Lewis)
 What are the interruptions that you need to hear are the specific things God is sending your way today?

Just off the top of my head: kids, work, cooking a balanced dinner - or an unbalanced dinner, the person that won't leave my desk, the friend who goes on and on about whatever-it-is, the extra rides your teen needs three times a day, the hollering from your little one's bed in the middle of the night, the delivering of hundreds of Girl Scout cookies to the family & friends you never see enough of...?

Papa, help me be interruptable so I can see You.

I also wonder how often I am called to interrupt someone, and I don't. I just don't listen. I could say, "Stop it, that's dangerous," or "I love when you do this or that," or "I'm proud of you," or "That's something Jesus would do! Way to go!" I'm pretty sure that if we welcome interruptions, we'll see what God is doing clearer, and we'll probably become interrupters ourselves. What an idea!

Help me be Your interrupter, send me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment