Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's really like that

I've been gone for a while. I may still be gone. I may not have any readers left. Who knows? I've kept up on my blog reading, mostly anyway. In the meantime (I wonder where the word 'meantime' came from? That's probably a whole post on it's own.), here are a few things about which God is speaking to me.

I was watching Prince Caspian last weekend and got to this scene. We have Tivo so I rewound it and watched it a couple more times.


I've seen it before so nothing was a surprise, but I really saw it through new eyes this time.You know how sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time and suddenly you experience it completely differently? That's that way this was.

At the beginning of this clip, why do you think Aslan roared which caused the horse to rear up and dump Lucy on the ground? (This part isn't in the book, which is why I wondered why the screen writer added it.) Then Lucy looks at Aslan like, "what the heck?!?" and then he springs on the guy chasing her, ready to shoot her with his bow and arrow. Do you think Aslan couldn't have rushed ahead and just took out the soldier? Of course he could have - he's Aslan! But sometimes instead of doing the thing that makes sense to us, God chooses to do what he thinks is best, and we feel hurt and inconvenienced. Like I mentioned above, this was not in the book and I can't speak for the intentions of the screen-writer. But, it felt like God when I thought about it.)

Next is the part where Lucy finally meets Aslan, running to him, calling his name, and they both fall laughing and hugging on the ground. Clearly, I hear Jesus' voice in that saying that that is how He wants to greet us. Not as some solemn affair where we grovel and our faces look like we suck lemons, but as long separated friends who can hardly stand to be apart. What a mistake we make in thinking it's any other way.

And I love the brief conversation where Aslan gently admonishes Lucy that even if no one else saw Aslan, she should have still followed him. As we should, too!

And finally, when Lucy asks why he "couldn't come roaring in and save us like last time?" and his answer is "Things never happen the same way twice, dear one." We all need to remember that. We are not looking to recapture something that was, we are seeking to do what God calls us to right now! If you can't hear God doing what used to work, change it up. If God seems to be doing a different thing, follow Him. What an idea!

Such powerful spiritual truths from one minute on film. God can speak to us through any medium He wants. He's been speaking to me through C.S. Lewis for years. I don't know why I'm surprised when it works that way on film, too!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading your stuff... please keep writing! My 7 year old & I are reading all the cslewis books this summer, then we will see the movies available. I am glad to have a fellow admirer of Narnia! May the LORD bless you always! Your friend-Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of you when seeing the "not a tame lion" phrase! I am now a loyal follower of your blog, by the way. When in Rome...or when joining the blogisphere...then do what you want others to do, yes?!!! Love your thoughts on Narnia...I'm always up for a good Narnia discussion!

    ReplyDelete