Thursday, April 10, 2014

Poppies (Looking Forward to Spring)

Finally finished a project I started a year and a half ago! There's an artist I like who 
uses square shapes in acrylic to paint North woods scenes and I wanted to try and do 
that with textile. It didn't turn out like I envisioned, but it's still interesting. It's about 
9x14" and made mostly from re-purposed materials.

Laying it out.

Quilted the poppy pieces.

Filling in the background, mosaic style.
I backed the tiny pieces with Pelon.

It's harder than you think it'd be to be random.

Done and ironed on. It sat like this for almost 1.5 years.

Light gray tulle over the top.

Machine embroidered grassy shapes and wispy cloud shapes everywhere, and edges 
trimmed and finished.

Free motion embroidery...

Cut petal shapes and melted the edges of organza and sewed on by hand.

Finally done!
The camera isn't catching the detail of the bright red,
and it is squared off but my hands must be crooked,
but you get the idea.
Love finishing projects!!
(I also finished a stack of mending, which feels equally good
because I hate that mending pile!)