We have made this recipe three times in the last three weeks. We were having friends over, this was requested, and then we had to reschedule twice. Since this dish needs to be prepared the night before, we have been forced to eat this three weeks in a row! It's really good, freezes well, and has a carmel-ly topping that makes it almost a dessert. I give credit to the cookbook 'Cooking Among Friends.' It does have eggs and dairy in it...
Baked French Toast
1. 1# Loaf French Bread, cut diagonally into 16 slices and lay flat in 2 greased cake pans or one 12x18x1" jelly roll pan.
2. Beat together the following and pour evenly over the bread. Cover & refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 8 eggs
- 2 C Milk
- 1 C. Cream or Half & Half (light or fat free is ok)
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
3. Preheat oven to 350. Meanwhile, in sauce pan over medium heat, bring butter, sugar & syrup to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour evenly over the bread.
- 3/4 C. Butter
- 1 1/4 C. packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbs lite corn syrup