Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Everything That's On My Mind & Then Some

I have really sucked at doing Multitude Mondays, and I can totally tell in my spirit. I really need to work on being more thankful. So I will.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I also seem to be sucking at picture taking. I resolve to do or see something photo worthy - soon!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Grace slept 11 hours last night - ELEVEN!!! She yelled once while I was still up and I prayed/rubbed her back to sleep, which she didn't even remember this morning. She was the definition of exuberant, amazing what a good night's sleep can do. (She has been plagued with nightmares, scary shadows & sleepless nights lately so we do a lot of praying about this with middle of the night snuggles on the couch while Dad or I doze off holding her.)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am still praying about all the stuff in my last post. What restrictions should my life have right now? This is a scary prayer, putting me in a vulnerable place. May I have courage to obey!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Our teenager is mad at us. Does that make all right with the world? (To keep his trust, I won't detail it here. Let's just say that Grace was on to something when she yelled, "I HATE consequences!" I'd imagine Micah agrees today. Maybe I'll ask him if he ever speaks to us again.)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We finally saw Avatar this past weekend. The 3D effects were amazing! The story line was OK, not too surprising, but worth seeing for the special effects alone. One thing in the movie struck me and I can't seem to get it out of my mind. The movie details a group of scientists trying to learn about an aboriginal-type culture on another planet. (Much more to it than that, but I won't spoil it!) While learning their language & customs, you get to see a main character greet her father with, "I see you, father," and later one of the lead scientists explains that this greeting is more than merely physically seeing someone, it means 'I see into you, I see who you are.'

This reminded me of a similar idea from a book that has been rattling around my head for a while. The Eragon series, by Christopher Paolini, is an epic series involving dragon riders, elves, dwarfs, bad guys, etc., arguably with bits and pieces from more popular series, but an OK read for scifi fans never the less. The idea that grabbed me, and which I expect more from in the awaited 4th book, is the idea that knowing someones true name gives you power. It is special knowledge that may bind someone to you. Of course, for the purposes of the book, you wouldn't want the antagonist to know your name as they would proceed to make you do all sorts of nasty things in their name, however the elves (who are good) often know their own true name, allowing them to control their own destiny. (This is, of course, all my own paraphrase - read the books if you are interested.) The idea being that there is something special, something out of the ordinary that happens when someone really knows you - the real you & really sees who you are.

So I apply that to my life. It wells up like a psalm.

Oh God,
You are the God who sees me,
the real me.
You don't run from me, You never show disgust.
Instead of turning away, You say,
'Give Me more. Everything you've got, I'll take.'
Who else cares like You? Who else is everything I will ever need?
You are the God who knows my name,
You know and love all that I am now, all that You created me to be.
You are the God who sees little me, and I am so thankful!
I rejoice in You!

David's is better:
1 God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand. 2 I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. 3 You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight. 4 You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence. 5 I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too - your reassuring presence, coming and going. 6 This is too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in! 7 Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit? to be out of your sight? 8 If I climb to the sky, you're there! If I go underground, you're there! 9 If I flew on morning's wings to the far western horizon, 10 You'd find me in a minute - you're already there waiting! 11 Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark! At night I'm immersed in the light!" 12 It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you; night and day, darkness and light, they're all the same to you. 13 Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. 14 I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration - what a creation! 15 You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. 16 Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day. 17 Your thoughts - how rare, how beautiful! God, I'll never comprehend them! 18 I couldn't even begin to count them - any more than I could count the sand of the sea. Oh, let me rise in the morning and live always with you! ... 23 Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; 24 See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong - then guide me on the road to eternal life.
Psalm 139 from the Message

Don't you LOVE having a God that SEES you, too?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am thinking ahead to next Christmas and may decorate packages with some crocheted snowflake ornaments. Like these, or this, this or these. Here's a whole page of free patterns!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

And oh yah - it's hump day! Happy Wednesday! The weekend is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment