Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Changing History

I was able to attend a Woman Leaders Day Out hosted by our church this weekend. It was so good to rejuvenate and relax with many other women, and I definitely need to do more of that. The day started with a short program before we hit the town to do various fun things, the initial 'Welcome & here's the plan for the day' announcement was followed by a short, excellent leadership talk about women in leadership being invited into leadership by others and in turn inviting others as well. One of the unexpected benefits occurred when I noticed the mannerisms of the first 'announcer' were almost identical to the 'presenter' - they were daughter and mother! And then I looked around and spotted many other women with children who are also living their lives for the King. There were many, many noteworthy things said that day, but the one that most stands out to me is when God whispered to me, "You, too, can change the course of your family's lives. You can change history."

Now I've known that part of my job as a mom, part of our job as parents, is to pass on our faith to our kids using both words and deeds. And I am always looking for ways to do this that will work for our family. Things like reading the Word together as a family daily like Ann describes here, doing activities, noticing God in the mundane, living out loud for Jesus, debriefing what was learned at weekly worship meetings. But for some reason, that was always a duty, a task I must perform whether I wanted to or not. Something to grudgingly trudge through, uphill both ways. And the sweet words of God have changed how I see it, the task has become a privilege. This is hard stuff, and God gave me these kids for a purpose that is more than just getting them through school and out the door in one piece. He wants little disciples, small apostles who see Jesus, experience real relationship with Him, and then are sent forth to declare His marvelous works.

I repent, right now, these feelings like my life is on hold because of the everyday tasks of a parent. Papa, help me see parenting, one of the most important jobs, through your eyes to view the eternal results You intend. Change me, change my heart, help me see beyond my needs and wants. I want to want what You want, I want my priorities to be Yours. Amen!
Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
His greatness no one can fathom.
One generation will commend your works to another;
they will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and I will meditate on Your wonderful works.
Psalm 145: 3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment