Monday, August 2, 2010

Deeply Rooted


God has been talking to me about being rooted in him. Deeply rooted. Not just on the surface, not just the stuff that people see or the stuff that makes me feel temporarily secure, but really rooted in Him down deep where the storms of life can't blow me over.

The Wise and the Foolish Trees
(My version of the parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders)

Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise tree who rooted himself deeply to the Source of Life. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that tree; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation set in the Source. 
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish tree who only rooted himself to the most superficial part of the Source of Life. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that tree, and it fell with a great crash. (found in Matthew 7:24-27)

There is some hard work to be done, digging and burrowing through hard packed earth. I don't really feel up to the challenge, but where He calls me, I'll go. I am so tired of fighting and struggling to hold on to the thin topsoil but when I really consider what it is He is calling me to do, He wants me to have the restful peace of being deeply rooted to Him: real rest. How can I refuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment