Monday, February 8, 2010

Surprise! (or God Comes Through, Again!)


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21


On September 24th, 1995, Micah was dedicated to God in church in lieu of infant baptism. We stood in front of our family & friends and promised to teach him about God and model Christian lives in front of him, Yesterday, at 14, Micah was baptized, declaring for himself that he wants to follow Jesus. What a great day!
Micheal followed Micah up on stage and for a minute I thought he was up there to support him. (Micah was pretty nervous & cranky about having to be in front of everyone.) And then I caught Micheal's eye and knew he was up to no good, or up to lots of good - either way, he was surprising me, surprising our family & friends.

I was baptized in Lake Bemidji at the end of September the first year we were dating, he and some college friends were the only people I had in attendance because I didn't know how to describe to my family my decision to be baptized. I have asked him off & on through our years together if he had thought to be baptized and he always replied that he just didn't feel called to do that right now. And I'll admit to have gently teased him while announcing the baptisms at small group over the last few weeks - and he was planning to do this all along!!!

He's pretty pleased with himself here.
Kris & Ben, baptizers extraordinaire.
How do you keep the water from going up your nose?
Kris & Jonne baptized Micah.
I love the earnest, happy look on Micah's face here.
And then he shook his hair out like a dog. =0)

I stressed and stressed and prayed and prayed about this day, about my family coming to see how our church celebrates this important day, and God had something so much better planned than anything I imagined!
He's really amazing like that!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! What an amazing surprise for you. I love that he chose to do it at the same time as Micah. Congratulations to both of your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible day! I can't imagine the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    I loved being able to watch both your husband and son being baptized, but also your family as they witnessed it all. What a wonderful day for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so great Kathy! I pray your family feels the love of God so deeply this week and that you continue to rejoice in your position in the family of God. big, big hugs to you all. I bet it was one great celebration on Sunday...both physically and in the spirit! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete