Thursday, March 24, 2011

Soup Dumplings

Anyone can make soup. Start with some water, broth if you've got it, simmer, keep adding stuff, veggies, meat...

But dumplings! Mmmmm! Dumplings make soup delicious! Micheal's Gram made the best dumplings, light, fluffy, delicious... Start these about a half hour before you want to eat.

Gram's Soup Dumplings
Place in bowl:
2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 C. Milk
2 Eggs


Mix it up with a fork.



Drop by teaspoon into low boiling/simmering soup, dipping spoon into soup and letting dough slide off. 
(Tip: Dip your spoon in the simmering soup before you dip into the dumpling mix the first time and the dough will slide right off the spoon.)


Dumplings will initially sink then rise to the top of soup. Just give a stir everyone once in a while to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom, but not too frequently that you break the dumplings up!


Simmer 20 minutes until dumplings are cooked through. 


Delicious dumplings!

1 comment:

  1. ha ha! I am in such a cross-cultural mindset right now....when I saw the title of your blog I was thinking, "wow...Kathy's learning some Chinese cooking. I wonder if her dumplings are like the ones here." Nope...chicken and dumpling soup like I remember from home. So funny....I also now think it's hilarious when people call blankets "afghans" cuz they just can never be that in my brain any more. The world has permanently messed me up.

    ReplyDelete