Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe Box Wednesday

This is one of my mom's recipes. I don't know where it came from, but it's a favorite of mine and tastes like home each time I make it - like a good Minnesotan meat and potato meal. I hope you like it! And let me know!

Poor Man's Salisbury Steaks

Before mixing the ingredients up put a non-stick frying pan on the stove w/ a small dollop of shortening in it or non-stick cooking spray and a plate with about 3/4 C. flour on it next to your stove top. Mixing this recipe is messy so it's nice to have these set out to speed up the preparation.

Mix:
1# Ground Beef (at least lean or better)
1 egg
1 C. Corn Flakes
1 C. Milk
salt & pepper
(result will be very 'loose' or runny)

Make 6 patties with the meat mixture, dredge with the flour, place in frying pan (I usually do 3 at a time). Brown well over med. heat turning as needed. When brown, place in a 9x13" pan, single layer.

Cover with 2 small cans or 1 large can Cream of Mushroom soup, thinned with 3/4 can(s) milk. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. While baking, make mashed potatoes to serve under the 'gravy.'
Yummy!

I have also made this recipe for the freezer, multiplying the recipe times 3 or 4. I make these patties, flash frozen them, then wrapped them in heavy foil, label and put in freezer. When I want an easy meal, I put the patties in a baking dish the night before and defrost in the fridge. The next day, cover with the soup and bake (or have our 13 year old do that part and it's ready when I come home!) And of course you can add anything to the meat that sounds good... (onions, peppers, mushrooms...)

No comments:

Post a Comment